Recently my friend was moving out of her apartment and gave me a few of her old things she didn’t want anymore I could use for fabric. One of the items she gave me was a denim colored cotton bed sheet, which thought would work out great for curtains n my work room. I had been using a yard of black bottom weight material because it was the only material I had enough of but the issue was it acted as a blackout curtain so I had no natural light, not good for any type of arts or crafts. The only thing I wasn’t in love with was the denim color of the material so I decided I want to stamp it or use some sort of method to make a pattern. I decided to try and create a screen print with some some old scraps of sheer fabric, acrylic paints, an embroidery hoop, and some tacky glue. It worked out though it was tedious and I used a blow dryer between layers.
This is what it looked like after many uses and no cleaning in between. If you do this yourself I’d suggest Modge Podge rather than tacky glue because you cannot wash the screen without washing some of the glue off which will ruin the image. After screen printing the top portion of the curtain I decided I still did not like the full on blue look and ended up tye dyeing the bottom half of the curtain with a dark purple. It turned out really nice though I may also tye dye the top portion. Here s a picture of the curtains in natural lighting. It’s easier to see the colors of the print and dye with the light n the room on but my camera doesn’t take kindly to artificial light.
The heart prints are lavender and the purple is much deeper. From outside you can see the curtains quite nicely from the road, which makes me happy. Too bad it was gloomy out but you can see the shape of the screen print quite nicely. I can’t wait till next semester’s screen printing class so I can re-buy all my printing supplies and start screen printing everything ^.^